If you find yourself feeling challenged to keep up the motivation or simply feel bored and are looking for something to do, consider the following tips on how to develop healthy habits in your daily life as a non-smoker.
Make your own list of favorite things to do that you know will help keep you become more focused, healthy and moving forward toward success.
1. Go for a walk.
2. Review your list of reasons why you want to stay a non-smoker.
3. Take a dance class and learn those new moves.
4. Read a book.
5. Find a local meetup group with fun things to do.
6. Do a crossword puzzle.
7. Take a nap.
8. Call a friend.
9. Create your own list of the things you'd like to be doing instead of smoking.
10. Play with the cat.
11. Turn the bathroom into a spa and do all those beauty treatments.
12. Listen to a relaxation tape or some favorite music.
13. Go to a store and get a free make-up session.
14. Give yourself a manicure and pedicure.
15. Try out a new hair-do.
16. CHEW SOME CLOVES!
17. Go to the movies.
18. Go to the museum.
19. Do a jigsaw puzzle online at Jigzone.com
20. Breathe deeply!
21. Take a sip of water.
22. Jump on a treadmill or go to a gym.
23. Give someone you love a huge hug.
24. Plant some flowers.
25. Do some exercise - swimming, aerobics, yoga, qigong, etc. Great for releasing endorphins (feel good factor) and relieving stress (physical and mental).
26. Learn to juggle. It's fun.
27. Take up a new hobby/interest - channel your thoughts into something constructive and interesting.
28. Work in the garden.
29. Reward yourelf with the cash you saved from not smoking.
30. Suck on a piece of TART candy.
31. Slather on a rich, creamy hand lotion and rub, rub, rub! It keeps fingers busy, and reminds you how nice it is not to have tobacco stink on them.
32. Eat a healthy snack.
33. Floss and brush your teeth.
34. Make-out with that special someone! If they hated kissing you when you smoked, they'll LOVE it now!
35. Chew gum.
36. Go out and do a good deed to a perfect stranger - every little thing matters.
37. Spend time with a kid.
38. Give yourself a treat every day of your quit - not matter how small.
39. Spend an hour filling the paddling pool in the garden on a gorgeous sunny day, only to find that the kids would rather play on the computer.
40. Play several games of internet scrabble, and hopefully win one!
41. Walk in an old graveyard with the man you love.
42. Get your jammies on early, and park yourself in front of your computer for the night.
43. Build a REAL closet.
44. Hang the sheetrock on said closet.
45. Do the mudding, taping and sanding on that closet.
46. Paint the closet.
47. Add the doors to the closet.
48. Knit a scarf.
49. Hang on dearly to a caramel apple sucker.
50. Sing your favorite song. Do not hold back!
51. Practice smiling in the mirror (releases endorphins)!
52. Remind yourelf what smoking really means to you and the loved ones.
53. Find gross smoking disease pictures or video.
54. Play with Silly Putty.
55. Whistle "Don't Worry - Be Happy."
56. Get a camera, and take some pictures.
57. Write a letter (you know...on paper).
58. Clean OUT the closets.
59. Crank up the radio and sing at the top of your lungs (works great for driving craves).
60. Crank up the radio and dance like no one is watching.
61. Create a puzzle from a family photo.
62. Organize your boxes of pictures.
63. Alphabetize your book shelves.
64. Volunteer somewhere in your community.
65. Clean the car, inside and out.
66. Do your nails. Hard to smoke with wet nails.
67. Take a shower.
68. Take a candle-lit bath.
69. Wax the car.
70. Take a day trip.
71. Try making home-made candles or soap.
72. Run in place.
73. Do some jumping jacks.
74. Start a reward fund - put away the amount you spend on smokes every day and use for those daily treats.
75. Write a poem.
76. Go antique shopping.
77. Start a vegetable garden.
78. Read some inspirational quotes.
79. Let your spouse cook supper for you.
80. Call your Grandmother!
81. Paint a picture.
82. Eat a hot fudge sundae.
83. Go play mini-golf.
84. Clean the basement or garage.
85. Write a short story.
86. Try a new recipe.
87. Scrub the floor.
88. Treat yourself to a massage.
89. Chop up some veggies for a stir-fry - keep your hands busy!
90. Make a to-do list for the week ahead.
91. Check your car's tire pressure.
92. Start a home budget.
93. Ride a bike.
94. Spend some time in nature.
95. Watch the sun set.
96. Write a goodbye letter to cigarettes.
97. Donate blood.
98. Color your hair.
99. Make a greeting card.
100. Write a list of things you are grateful for.
101. Learn meditation. Find a relaxation technique that works for you.